World 0

20.08.2026.

11:20

Unprecedented scandal - World in shock: "The line has been crossed"

Israeli Minister Itamar Ben Gvir said that dozens of Palestinians should be killed every day, adding that “they are not even human beings.” The remarks sparked widespread outrage, including in Germany, where Chancellor Friedrich Merz strongly condemned them.

Izvor: DW

Unprecedented scandal - World in shock: "The line has been crossed"
EPA/ABIR SULTAN

Podeli:

On Monday, Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said that “targeted killings” should be carried out in Gaza, sparking outrage around the world.

The far-right minister in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government also explained what he had in mind: “30 to 40 Palestinians should be taken out every night.”

Ben-Gvir stressed that he was not referring only to Palestinian militants who pose an immediate threat.

There are people in the Gaza Strip who, in his view, do not deserve to live. “They’re not even people,” he said. 

Unprecedented scandal - World in shock: The line has been crossed
Mostafa Alkharouf / AFP / Profimedia

German Government Criticizes Further Annexation of the West Bank

On Wednesday, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz (Christian Democratic Union, CDU) responded to the controversial Israeli politician’s remarks.

“The German Chancellor strongly condemns Minister Ben-Gvir’s calls, which show contempt for human beings and are contrary to international law. They are unacceptable,” a government spokesman in Berlin said. Merz is currently on vacation. 

Unprecedented scandal - World in shock: The line has been crossed
dts Nachrichtenagentur / imago stock&people / Profimedia

The spokesman also criticized, on behalf of the chancellor, Israeli plans to accelerate the expansion of settlements in the West Bank. Merz is following the latest developments “with great concern.”

There must be no further steps toward annexation, the spokesman added: “Israel, as the occupying power, must treat Palestinians with dignity, protect their property, and ensure public administration and humanitarian aid.”

Vice Chancellor Klingbeil: “The line has now been crossed”

Merz’s deputy, Finance Minister Lars Klingbeil (Social Democratic Party of Germany), had already called for consequences over the remarks on Tuesday.

“These are statements that we, as the German government, cannot accept in any way,” he told Sat.1 television.

Sanctions are being discussed at the European level, Klingbeil said, adding: “This now needs to be examined very seriously.” Germany, despite its solidarity with the State of Israel, must not remain silent. The “line has truly been crossed now.”

German Member of the European Parliament Hildegard Bentele (CDU) has also called for sanctions against Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir. She has been advocating such measures since last year, she told DW.

“A call for the elimination of individuals is unacceptable to us in Europe,” the politician stressed.

Many Countries Have Banned Ben-Gvir From Entering

In a profile, the Catholic News Agency (KNA) described Ben-Gvir as probably the “most radical figure” in the Israeli government. The national security minister is controversial because of his racist and religious fundamentalist views.

Several countries have therefore already banned him from entering their territory, including Australia, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Norway and the Netherlands.

 
Unprecedented scandal - World in shock: The line has been crossed
STRINGER / AFP / Profimedia

The foreign policy spokesman for the Christian Democrats’ parliamentary group in the Bundestag, Jürgen Hardt, supports calls for European Union sanctions against Ben-Gvir.

“The EU should sanction him as a statement in support of the universal validity of human dignity and human rights,” Hardt told Politico.

He said he believes that an Israeli cabinet without Ben-Gvir would bring Europe and Israel closer together again.

Opposition Calls for Sanctions and Suspension of Arms Exports

The Greens, who are in opposition in the German Bundestag, are also calling for tough consequences.

“I urge the federal government to ban this man from entering Germany and to advocate for similar sanctions at the European level,” party leader Franziska Brantner told Politico.

Opposition politician Lea Reisner of the Left Party went further, calling on public broadcaster Deutschlandfunk for a halt to all arms exports to Israel

 

Josef Schuster: “Deeply shameful and irresponsible”

Josef Schuster, president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, has also reacted with outrage to Ben-Gvir’s call for mass killings of Palestinians.

Ben-Gvir’s statements are diametrically opposed to Jewish values and damage the reputation of Israel,” Schuster told the Catholic News Agency. “Itamar Ben-Gvir’s conduct is deeply shameful and irresponsible.”

He said the remarks clearly demonstrate the danger posed by far-right forces.

Kirsten Fehrs, chairwoman of the Council of the Evangelical Church in Germany, described Ben-Gvir’s comments on the social media platform Threads as an “attack on humanity.”

She warned that, across religious boundaries, there must be a shared conviction that every human being possesses inalienable human dignity because they are created in the image of God. “No one can grant that dignity, and no one can take it away.”

0 Komentari

Možda vas zanima

Ozbiljno naoružavanje

Eks-ju zemlja nabavlja tri hiljade raketa

Ministarstvo odbrane Slovenije nabavlja 3.000 raketa vazduh-zemlja dometa 3.000 metara. Prvih 1.500 komada trebalo bi da bude isporučeno 2028, a ostatak 2029. godine.

8:31

19.8.2026.

1 d

Kosovo

Srbija uputila protestno pismo EU

Direktor Kancelarije za KiM Petar Petković poručio specijalnom izaslaniku EU za dijalog Peteru Sorensenu da je Beograd sa velikom zabrinutošću razumeo najnoviju izjavu portparola EU o mogućem otvaranju mosta na reci Ibar.

14:57

18.8.2026.

1 d

Podeli: